Friday, December 29, 2023

Barbie

This afternoon, I saw a film that really surprised me and from the title, you know which one it was.  I’m from the first generation who, if my brother hadn’t gotten his paws on her and gave her a literal lobotomy, would have kept her safely tucked away until now and put a down payment on my own Barbie Dreamhome.  I had the Titian ponytailed Barbie, and two years later, with my own money, saved up from my beer and pop bottle ditch recycling program, bought her best friend, Titian haired Midge.  I wanted the whole nine yards, but settled for patterns to make outfits instead.  My sister, who’s 6 years older than me and was the Martha Stewart of Mt. Baker High School, made doll clothes, among other outfits, she made a Barbie sized copy of her prom dress, white sleeveless tulle and black chantilly lace.  I think, hope that my niece still has it.  

What does all this blather have to do with my opinion of Barbie, the movie?  Everything.  When you’re a little girl, especially a little girl who has low self esteem due to peer pressure, sibling rivalry, you haven’t hit puberty, your life is basically that of a doll and you can project through the Princess of pink what you would imagine it would be like if you were in her shoes.  She has a “perfect body”, hair, life with absolutely no worries, all the opportunities to be anything she wants to be, no restrictions, just what comes in a package and imagination.  Barbie also has a built in boyfriend/fiancé, Ken.  He’s Prince Charming for all intents, but what is he prince of?  Then there’s Allan, Midge’s boyfriend and as years progressed, Midge and Allan became the Adam and Eve of Barbieworld and the population increased, new Barbies were introduced and the whole place became evermore international and diverse.  The soundtrack gives a lot of incite to the emotions of the dolls and their plastic fantastic world.  I would have added Beyoncé’s Who Runs The World. 


So after seeing all the blowback from the girlie men who are threatened by the message that’s as clear as the B on the Barbie logo, I can only say, get a grip.  Dolls are the ways we pretend, imagine, dream without judgement.  Yes, you can be anything you want to be.  You’re not limited any more than a man.  In fact, you can procreate, try that on your own Ken, G.I. Joe, Stretch Armstrong.  What boggles my mind is that when the difference between men and women is shown to real live human beings, they loose their minds that we’re capable beings on this planet and without us, there wouldn’t be anyone.  


 Not a “kids” film, hence the PG13 rating.  Yes, the temptation to bring your little princess to the film is going to be strong, but it helps if you understand that this deals with subjects that most kids aren’t mature enough to fully comprehend and would be well advised to let them play and be kids as long as they can.  Adolescence is over in the blink of an eye.  Rating: perfect, perfect can be a rating, and it doesn’t need to be man’splained, love this film, when’s Barbie II?

No comments:

Post a Comment