Monday, October 24, 2016

Ghostbusters (2016)



Melissa McCarthy, Leslie Jones, Kristen Wiig, and Kate McKinnon….now that I’ve listed the names of these four amazing women, you must know that they are extremely brave.  Not because “they ain’t ‘fraid of no ghosts”, but because they took on the monumental task of recreating a cinematic comic masterpiece and gender-bending it.  Harold Ramis (Egon Spengler) in the original and writer, couldn’t be in the remake, but I’m pretty sure he would have approved.  Along with Dan Ackroyd, Bill Murray, Sigourney Weaver, Ernie Hudson, and Annie Potts, who cameo throughout, much like Stan Lee in the Marvel films, we have Chris Hemsworth on board as the worst assistant, but cutest, on the planet.  He puts the “D” in dumb.  All of the players are tightly held to the belief that ghosts are slimy (ectoplasm), scary (boney, skinless, ethereal, and sometimes dangerous), have a link to the present (that’s why they haven’t moved on), and if given the opportunity, would scare the bejesus out of anyone who messed with their space.  This also reinforced my dislike for dark basements.  It will scare little children…do not think that it won’t.  That being said…this is a remake, not a carbon copy of the original.  The ladies are on a mission and I, for one would love to see a sequel.  I heard something really weird, what's 'Zuul'?  If you don’t come away believing that Kate McKinnon is one of the most chameleon-like actresses of this century, you haven’t been watching her work.  They’re all phenomenally talented and I’m anxious to see this again, because I’m sure there’s a ton of stuff I missed the first time.  So, who you gonna call?….say it with me folks:  Ghostbusters!  Rating: Do…Re….Egon!

No comments:

Post a Comment