Friday, January 23, 2015

Into The Woods


Several years ago, I got a VHS copy of the Broadway version of this musical starring Bernadette Peters, and a variety of actors that I had no idea could sing.  Nor had I seen some of them on anything other than the occasional television sitcom.  It was a very long play, as I recall, and I couldn’t tell you if I paid attention (I should have), or what any of the songs were, except the pivotal “Children Will Listen”.   When it was announced that it was being made for the big screen and the witch was to be portrayed by Meryl Streep, my ears perked up.  The long and the short of this film is be careful what you wish for because you just might get it, but at what cost.  Biggest surprise…Emily Blunt and Chris Pine…both can really sing and biggest non-surprise, but a total treat…Anna Kendrick.  It’s a divine ensemble and a wonderful romp into the woods and beyond.  So, the rating for la Streep and cast – a red cape, a bunch of magic beans, a pair of golden slippers, and hair the color of golden corn aka 4 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment